Documents recorded by the auditor include, but are not limited to, deeds, real estate contracts, liens and other written instruments which are required by law to be filed in the county. The records become public upon filing and are indexed accordingly. The exact time of filing is recorded with a time stamp so that if several instruments are filed on the same day, it is easy to determine priority of a document when referring back to it.
Over the years, the method used for recording documents has evolved from a system of manual transcription in ledger books, to digitally scanning and indexing documents.
Requirements for Recorded Documents
Documents not meeting the requirements may be returned for compliance.
A standard cover sheet may be used for the first page of the document, to fulfill the three inch top margin and indexing requirements. One dollar will be added to the recording fee when a standard cover sheet is used.
The Recording costs are set by state law and vary based on the document type and number of pages.
Documents Requiring an Excise Form
Instruments that convey property are required to be submitted with a completed Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavit. The Douglas County Treasurer processes this form and collects associated fees. Questions regarding the requirement or completion of the Real Estate Excise Affidavit should be directed to the Douglas County Treasurer.
Documents Requiring a Notice of Continuance
Some properties classified as open space or agriculture land may require a Notice of Continuance to complete the transaction. This is a Douglas County Assessor office form. Any questions regarding the Notice of Continuance should be directed to the Douglas County Assessor
Submit your Document for Recording
Submit documents with exact fee to
Douglas County Auditor
PO Box 456
Waterville, WA 98858
Search Recorded Documents
Many requests are handled by the auditor for copies of various instruments. These requests are handled expeditiously with the use of photo equipment. A small fee is charged for search of records and copies of documents and, when certified by the auditor, these documents are admissible in courts of law.
You can search and print copies of Douglas County recorded documents online
Copies of recorded documents are $1.00 per page.
Certified copies are $3.00 for the first page and an additional $1.00 for each page after.
You can mail in a request for copies. Please enclose the Auditor File Number for the document requested, a check for the copies made payable to Douglas County Auditors, and a return address.
Pay Online *Please call our office to get the correct fees
Marriage License Requirements
- Valid Identification
- Social Security Number - If you do not have a Social Security Number there is a place to sign.
- Mothers' Maiden name and place of birth
- Fathers' name and place of birth
- The cost of the Marriage License is $59 payable in cash or check
- The recording office is open from 8:30 am to 4 pm daily. We request you be here by 3:30 pm as the process takes a little time to complete.
- If you are under the age of 18 you will need parental consent, under age of 17 you will need to get approval from a Douglas County Judge.
Three Day Waiting Period
Washington state law requires applicants wait three full days after application before marrying. The license is not valid until after the third full day. For example; If the application is made on Monday, the first day it can be used is Thursday. The license expires sixty days from the date if application. The three day waiting period cannot be waived under any circumstance.
- Enter your marriage data into the KIOSK. Be sure to complete the entire form and double check for typos. We have a public workstation in our lobby where you can complete the form. Once completed please click on the submit icon and remember the number that the KIOSK assigns to you.
- When you have completed the form please come to the counter and we can create your Marriage Application.
- Your 3 day waiting period will not begin until fees are paid and the license is created.
Absentee Marriage Application
- Submit your data online into the Kiosk
- Send us an email or call us at (509) 888-6409 requesting we create and email you an absentee application. Please include your assigned application number.
- We will send you an email with the Marriage Application attached. Print the application on a white sheet of paper, take the form to a notary and have your signatures notarized.
- Mail your signed application and $59 to us at:
Douglas County Auditor
P.O. Box 456
Waterville, WA 98858
- We will create your marriage license paperwork and mail it out to you. You may pick the application up at our office if you request us to hold it for you. Your three day waiting period begins once we process your notarized application for marriage license, and fees are paid.
- Please let us know if you have any questions. You may call 509-888-6404.
Douglas County has contracted with the following eRecording vendors to enable electronic submission of documents and fees for recording. eRecord submissions received by 3:30p.m. will be recorded same workday. Documents received after that time may record the following day.